Marijo Coates is a founding member of the firm. She practises intellectual property law with an emphasis on trade-mark licensing and protection.
Marijo’s areas of practice include advising on commercial transactions involving intellectual property such as licensing and merchandising agreements, distribution and supply agreements, and co-packing agreements. She also handles the intellectual property portfolios of clients in Canada and abroad. The businesses of these clients range from cosmetics, food and chemicals to software. She is involved in the prosecution and enforcement of her clients’ intellectual property rights, primarily trade-marks, copyright and confidential information.
- Fellow of Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Active participant on IPIC’s Trade-mark Joint Liaison Committee and Trade-mark Legislation Committee
- Member and active participant on Trade-mark Committee of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Member and active participant on committees of International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member of MARQUES
- Member of PTMG
- Admitted to the Bar of Ontario and the Bar of Nova Scotia
- Registered trade-mark agent
- B.A. and LL.B., Dalhousie University
- Recognized as a leading trade-mark professional in World Trademark Review 1000 and Best Lawyers®
- Repeatedly recommended in the Lexpert® Canadian Legal Directory in IP
Publications and Presentations
Marijo has written and spoken on various aspects of trade-mark law including licensing, liability and personality rights. She is the author of Register Your Trade-mark in Canada, a book on Canadian trade-mark law published by International Self-Counsel Press. She has written and edited other texts on Canadian trade-mark practice and procedure.
She was called to the Ontario Bar in 1983 and the Nova Scotia Bar in 1986 and is a registered trade-mark agent.