Kavita Ramamoorthy is an associate of the firm. She practises intellectual property law with an emphasis on pharmaceutical patent litigation and health sciences.
Kavita’s area of practice focuses on patent litigation, particularly in the pharmaceutical field. She has extensive experience with proceedings under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations as well as patent actions and judicial reviews.
Her practice includes litigation management, preparation of expert evidence and both oral and written advocacy. Kavita has appeared frequently before the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal. Her practice also includes patentability, validity and infringement opinions and advising on a variety of regulatory matters.
In addition to being a lawyer, Kavita is a Registered Canadian Patent Agent and holds a Ph.D. in Toxicology.
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Member of Forums & Seminars Committee and Litigation Committee
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Advocates’ Society, Member
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group, Former Chair
- Admitted to the Bar of Ontario in 2003
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent (2007)
- Registered Canadian Trade-mark Agent (2004)
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario
- Ph.D., Texas A&M University (Toxicology)
- B.Sc., University of Alberta (Pharmacology)
Seminars and Publications
In addition to numerous scientific publications, Kavita has written extensively on patent law and was named Lexology’s Author of the Year (Healthcare) in 2010. Kavita also speaks frequently on various patent and regulatory matters.