Richard Austin is a Senior Counsel with the firm. He is the Co-Chair of Deeth Williams Wall’s Technology Law Practice and practises exclusively in the area of information technology, privacy and cybersecurity law.
Richard’s areas of practice include outsourcing transactions, artificial intelligence, cloud computing, applications development projects, technology mergers and acquisitions, technology start-up support, access to information, privacy, security including cybersecurity and international data flows, IT governance and regulatory compliance, records retention and destruction policies (RRDP) and social media. Richard represents developers and users of information technology in the public and private sector as well as domestic and international service providers.
Before joining Deeth Williams Wall, Richard was General Counsel of EDS Canada, one of Canada’s largest information technology service providers, for 18 years. Richard’s responsibilities at EDS Canada included providing strategic legal advice and guidance to senior management with respect to the Canadian business and to business leaders on specific transactions. Richard provides his clients with expert, effective legal advice based on his deep knowledge of the technology sector, experience with complex technology transactions and appreciation of customer issues and supplier concerns.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Lawyer of the Year for Information Technology Law in Toronto, 2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Information Technology Law, Privacy and Data Security Law and Technology Law, 2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Information Technology Law, Privacy and Data Security Law and Technology Law, 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Lawyer of the Year for Information Technology Law, Toronto, 2020
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, Preeminent ranking in Computers and Software, Labour and Employment and Technology and Science
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Information Technology Law, Privacy and Data Security Law and Technology Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Consistently Recommended for Computer & IT Law and Technology Transactions
- Who's Who Legal, Global Leader in Data Security and Information Technology
- Who's Who Legal, National Leader in Data
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA), Member
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA), Member
- Canadian IT Law Association (IT.CAN), Former President and Director
- Toronto Computer Lawyers’ Group (TCLG), Member
Richard Austin will be participating in a panel discussion, Regaining Justice: Embracing AI’s Role in the Law, hosted by the Student Law Network of Toronto Metropolitan University on January 25, 2024.
As a panelist, Richard will discuss developments in Artificial Intelligence and its impact on the legal field.
On October 29, 2023, DWW Counsel Richard Austin and Associate Imtiaz Karamat will be guest lecturers for the “Governance and Regulation of Artificial Intelligence” course as part of York University’s Graduate Program in Financial Accountability (MFAc).
Richard’s talk will focus on the regulation of AI in certain jurisdictions around the world, while Imtiaz will speak on how Canada’s changing privacy law landscape addresses current AI issues.
On October 26, 2023, DWW Partner Olalekan (Wole) Akinremi will moderate a panel titled “Understanding Obligations, Weighing Risks and Preparing for Change Under the Proposed Critical Cyber Systems Protection Act” at the 2023 CAN-TECH Law Fall Conference.
Join Wole and a panel of seasoned technology lawyers as they discuss: